Peter Strand is a partner at the entertainment, media, and intellectual property law firm Leavens, Strand & Glover in Chicago. He represents content creators and providers including authors, songwriters and composers, recording artists, musicians, television and film writers, independent record labels, music publishers, independent film producers and documentarians, and production companies in various transactional and litigation matters in the entertainment industry.
In addition to contract preparation, analysis, and negotiation, he assists clients with protecting and enforcing their copyrights, trademarks, and other intellectual property rights; licensing or exploiting their creative works; acquiring and distributing content; and selecting, securing, and protecting product and service brand names.
In addition to his law practice, Peter teaches music law as an adjunct professor at Northwestern University School of Law. He has also taught at Chicago Kent College of Law, DePaul University College of Law, and Marquette University Law School.
He has served in several leadership positions for the Chicago Chapter of the Recording Academy, including National Trustee, President, Vice President, Chapter Governor. Peter is a vice chair of the Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts Division of the ABA Forum on the Entertainment & Sports Industries.
Chambers USA named Peter to Band 1, Media & Entertainment – Transactional in 2017. In 2015, Peter was named one of the Top 100 Attorneys in Illinois by Chicago Magazine. He has been also selected as:
- “Super Lawyer — Billboard Magazine’s 50 Attorneys of Note in the Music Business” 2014
- “Entertainment Law-Music Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers Magazine in 2013, 2016 and 2018
- “Leading Lawyer” in Arts, Entertainment and Sports in Illinois from 2003 – 2017
- “Illinois Super Lawyer” 2007-2018
- “Leading Business Lawyer” in Media & Entertainment Law in Illinois, 2006 – 2014.
Peter also provides pro bono legal services to musicians, artists, and arts organizations through the Lawyers for the Creative Arts, where he has been involved as a volunteer, Board Member, and on the Honors Council for more than 20 years. In 2008, Peter received the Thomas R. Leavens Awards from the Lawyers for the Creative Arts for his distinguished service to the arts through LCA.
Before becoming an attorney, Peter played and recorded as a full time touring musician with several bands including recording two albums for RCA/Millennium Records.
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, J.D., 1987
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.A., Journalism, 1976
Peter has served as an Adjunct Professor of Entertainment and Music Law at the Chicago-Kent School of Law, as well as at Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law. He has also taught at DePaul University College of Law and Marquette University Law School.
- Illinois Supreme Court
- Wisconsin Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- For Lawyers for the Creative Arts, Peter has served for more than 20 years as a volunteer, board member and on the Honors Council.
- National Trustee of The Recording Academy (GRAMMYs), Chicago Chapter
- Past President, Board of Governors, The Recording Academy, Chicago Chapter
- More than 20 years as a volunteer, board member and on the Honors Council for Lawyers for the Creative Arts
- Chair, Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts, American Bar Association Forum on Entertainment & Sports Industries