Peter Strand is a founding partner of Leavens Strand & Glover.
He handles both transactions and litigation on behalf of content creators and providers in music, film, television and publishing. He draws upon his long-term experience working with the entertainment industry to negotiate, develop and defend complex contracts that protect his clients’ rights, revenues and brands. He also provides counsel on preserving intellectual property rights including copyrights and trademarks, as well as on the licensing and distribution of creative works.
In more than two decades of legal practice and community involvement, Peter has been dedicated to advancing the rights of artists within their respective industries. He is regarded by his peers as an authority on the American entertainment industry and is a frequent lecturer to law students and lawyers in the field. He also serves as a leader in key music and arts organizations, including as a National Trustee of The Recording Academy (GRAMMYs) as a representative of the Chicago chapter. In a previous career, he played as a full-time touring musician and recorded two albums for RCA/Millennium Records.
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, J.D., 1987
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.A., Journalism, 1976
Peter has served as an Adjunct Professor of Entertainment and Music Law at the Chicago-Kent School of Law, as well as at Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law. He has also taught at DePaul University College of Law and Marquette University Law School.
- Illinois Supreme Court
- Wisconsin Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- For Lawyers for the Creative Arts, Peter has served for more than 20 years as a volunteer, board member and on the Honors Council.
- National Trustee of The Recording Academy (GRAMMYs), Chicago Chapter
- Past President, Board of Governors, The Recording Academy, Chicago Chapter
- More than 20 years as a volunteer, board member and on the Honors Council for Lawyers for the Creative Arts
- Chair, Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts, American Bar Association Forum on Entertainment & Sports Industries